Monday, May 6, 2013

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden!
This is a friendship quilt that my mom and grandma started
for me when I was about 10. They cut out the pieces and gave them
to relatives and friends and they pieced them and embroidered their names
on the block. My mom set it together after I married and I didn't get
a quilted until last year. I quilted it by hand and I gave it to our daughter
Janet. So some of the pieces are about 70 years old.

PIECING  QUILTS
I remember grandma piecing quilts
Around the old fireplace.
Winter winds howling around the house,
Like a tiger on a chase.

New snow on the ground,
Ice hanging from the trees.
But sitting around the old fireplace,
We would be as cozy as you please.

Grandma's pieces all spread out,
In such a bright array,
That we would soon forget,
It was a winter day.

There would be pieces, just as red,
As a robin's breast,
Or as blue, as the summer sky,
Or a bluebird on her nest.

Yellow pieces, just as bright,
As a July afternoon,
Or a softer yellow yet,
Of a harvest moon.

A bit of pink the color of,
A summer hollyhock,
Scraps left over from a forgotten,
Easter Sunday frock.

A pretty piece of lavender,
From grandma's summer dress.
Winter time and piecing quilts,
A time that I liked best!

Freda Fullerton
May 6, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment