Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:
This is a picture of my mom, feeding her chickens on
our farm... way back when! Since this is the second day
of summer, I thought my poem "Summer On The Farm,"
very appropriate.


SUMMER ON THE FARM
Summer on the farm
Holds special memories for me.
Fireflies, twinkling at dusk,
A whippoorwill calling from some distant tree.

Hollyhocks by the door,
Standing straight and tall.
Old Bossie, mooing in the lot,
For her baby in the stall.

Blackberries in the thicket,
A delicious, pie to make.
We picked them cautiously,
Looking for a snake.

If we did not check ourselves,
With berry-picking done,
Ticks and chiggers, we found out,
Were not part of the fun!

After working in the field all day,
In the summers heat,
It was always so much fun
To go swimming in the creek.

Daddy grew tomatoes,
Would now be a sure fair winner,
And every Saturday afternoon,
I picked some for Sunday dinner.

When I picked a bucket full,
I found a shaded spot
And I sat right down
And ate the biggest of the lot.

I can see my mama yet,
Sunbonnet on her head,
Working in her garden,
Weeding her precious lettuce bed.

Those youthful days have gone
And many summer-times have passed,
But I am thankful to the Lord,
Those memories will last.

Freda Fullerton
June 22, 2011
Written Summer 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment