Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:
This picture is of my maternal grandparents.
Lester and Rosie Johnson. Grandpa was the
gentlest man I've ever known and grandma
was the strongest woman I've ever known.
In the early 1900's Influenza swept across
America, claiming thousands of lives, among
them were my grandma's mother and two
daughters. They say grandma was the one to
comfort everyone else! Then, bodies of the dead
were washed, dressed and laid out in home-
made wooden coffins. Grandpa was a carpenter,
 so he made the coffins for his children and grandma
washed and dressed them!

MY OLD FASHIONED GRANDMA
I had an old fashioned grandma,
With work worn hands,
With hair piled upon her head,
Of shinning silver strands.

Eyes that held such tenderness,
For those she loved so dear,
Lips that often praised the Lord,
For his watchful care.

A faith that never wavered,
Even in her deepest sorrow,
She held firm to the belief,
It would be better on tomorrow.

She believed deeply in the providence,
Of a living God,
And went often to him in prayer
To lead the path she trod.

She had a peaceful countenance,
Upon her old lined face,
That made her presence felt,
No one could take her place.

Lord, now that I'm a grandma,
Please help me to be...
The same old fashioned kind,
My grandma was to me.

Freda Fullerton
May 4, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment