Monday, March 7, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:

In 1943 Fullerton California was a small town of about ten
thousand people. The stores in down-town did not stay
open late during the week, but on Saturday night they
stayed open until 9:00 PM.  The US Had just recovered from
the depression and was now into world war two. Very few
people had much money and a trip to down-town on Saturday
night was a great treat. Come with me down memory lane.

SATURDAY NIGHT IN FORTY-THREE

When I was a kid in forty-three
Saturday night was a treat for me.

All the folks in my home-town
Got all dressed up and were main-street bound.

Mamma and papa and the kiddies too,
Looked in the windows to see what was new.

Folks met neighbors with a friendly nod.
They talked about the weather and their faith in God.

They shared the news with each family,
About their fighting men, way across the sea.

There wasn't much money for a spending spree,
Way back then, in forty-three.

A penny candy and ice cream cone,
That was about it, before heading home.

My home-town was a nice place to be,
On a Saturday night in forty-three.

Freda Fullerton
March 7, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment