Thursday, December 8, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:
This is my fruit cake I baked day before yesterday.
I think fruitcakes been gotten a bum wrap. People are
always making jokes about fruitcakes but, our Christmas
dinner would not seem like Christmas dinner without it.
I've been making this same recipe for over fifty years.
Today's poem was written several years ago. I'll be happy
to share my fruitcake recipe on request.

MY CHRISTMAS CAKE
It would not seem like Christmas
If I did not bake...
The spicy, fruit filled goodness,
My traditional Christmas cake.

It is filled with candied cherries
Pineapple and pecans too.
I add a pound of golden raisins,
Just before I'm through.

I mix the sugar and the butter
With six fresh eggs and then,
A bottle of brandy flavoring
Is now blended in.

I add flour and the spices
And bake it up just right.
Then I decorate it...
And store it out of sight.

It is best, if it is baked
About Thanksgiving week.
With fruit and nuts heaped upon it
If looks like a Christmas wreath.

Christmas Day, it has place of honor
On a crystal plate...
Then I'm glad I took the time to bake it,
My traditional Christmas cake!

December 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment