Sunday, January 1, 2012

Freda's Garden

Welcome to my Garden!
This is a picture on the front of a 2012 calendar.
Happy New Year everyone! Today's poem is some reflections
on being thankful in this New Year!

A NEW YEAR
Lord, I feel so ungrateful
When I'm walking down the street
And by chance, I meet someone
And see they have no feet.

I can stretch my legs and walk,
And move with such ease,
Without the help of anyone,
I can go just where I please.

Yet, I'll complain about the lines
At the grocery store...
Or whine, the stop lights
Are such a boor.

My eyes seem to point out,
All the drab, ugly things I see,
Then I meet someone that's blind,
I think, "O Lord, that could be me."

How ungrateful I am,
To not see beauty everywhere.
Help me to stop and really see,
When I go here and there.

I often talk about the noise,
I say, "It drives me wild."
Then I'll meet someone that's deaf,
Perhaps a little child.

Help me to really listen,
To the bird-song that's so sweet
And not be so annoyed
With the noise, I hear out on the street.

I talk about the food I by,
That the prices are too high,
Then I see a picture of a hungry child,
So thin, it makes me want to cry.

I grumble about our government,
The high taxes aimed at me,
Then I stop and realize
That half the world's not free!

As I face the New Year, Lord,
Help me to make it my aim,
To be a lot more thankful
And try my best not to complain!

Freda Fullerton
January 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment