Thursday, January 19, 2012

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:
This is a friendship quilt that my grandma and my mom started for me
when I was a girl. Mom set it together after Jim and I married. I quilted
it. It is all hand done. I have written a short bio on each person whose
name is on each block.

PIECING QUILTS
I remember grandma piecing quilts
Around the old fireplace...
Winter winds howling around the house,
Like a tiger on a chase.

New snow on the ground,
Ice hanging from the trees,
But sitting around the old fireplace,
We would be as cozy as you please.

Grandma's pieces all spread out
In such a bright array...
That we would soon forget,
It was a winter day.

There would be pieces just as red
As a robin's breast...
Or as blue as summer sky
Or a bluebird on her nest.

Yellow pieces, just as bright,
As a July afternoon...
Or a softer yellow yet
Of a harvest moon.

A bit of pink, the color
Of a summer hollyhock,
Scraps left from a long forgotten
Easter Sunday frock.

A pretty piece of lavender,
From grandma's summer dress.
Winter time and piecing quilts,
A time that I liked best!

Freda Fullerton
January 19, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment