Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:

I have posted all the poems about the death burial
and resurrection of Jesus, but before we leave Israel
I have one more poem to share with you. It is about
how God takes disappointment and turns it into joy.
When we visited the River Jordan, our guide told us
that the proposed site of the baptism of Jesus had been
moved. During the six day war in 1967 with the Arabs.
The Israelis occupied the Gaza Strip and a fence
was built with a strip of land between them called
"no man's land." And the probable site was there.
It was after sundown when we arrived and my camera
did not have a strong enough light setting to take any
pictures. There was a crowd milling around with a circus
like  atmosphere. Vendors were hawking souvenirs and
in a roped off shallow area they were baptizing people by
pouring water over their heads.
I walked off down the river by myself and found a large rock
that jetted out over the river. Across the river all you could see
were tall reeds. It was as if I was all alone. I sat down and  prayed
and sang a song and as I was looking down at the water I saw the
reflection of a bird glide, not across the river, but up the river. As I
watched the reflection I thought of the dove the descended on Jesus
after his baptism. It was a wonderful experience and I was inspired
to write the following poem.

JORDAN RIVER
I found a quiet place ,
On the Jordan's banks to pray
Away from the crowd,
And the hustle of the day.

As the evening shadows gathered,
I saw a reflection from the sky,
I watched the reflection of a graceful bird
As it went gliding by.

I could picture in my mind,
The baptism of the Nazarene,
As the dove descended on Him,
I could almost see the scene.

As I travel down life's pathway,
I shall never forget the day,
That I sat down by the River Jordan,
To sing and to pray.

As soon as Jesus was baptized he saw the
Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting
on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is
my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."
Matthew 3:16-17

Freda Fullerton
April 26, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment