Saturday, September 17, 2011

Freda's Garden:

Welcome to my Garden:
I lost a dear sister in Christ yesterday, Arlene Himes.
She is in the middle wearing sunglasses. Arlene was
a fellow poet, song writer, entertainer, Bible teacher
retired nurse, but above all she was a Christian wife
and mother, the role she cherished the most. Today
I'm posting one of her poems in her honor.

REDEFINING BEAUTIFUL
This morning I looked into the mirror.
A familiar sight to see.
The same familiar face was there
Looking back at me.

The hair somewhat disheveled.
The face pale with tired eyes of blue.
I look more and more like my mother.
Do I see a "crows' foot" or two?

I shall shower and primp and powder and fluff
To look nice and fresh for the day.
I'll dress and comb and spray my hair,
And hope that my hair-do will stay.

But what I am really doing
For this body will soon decay?
Am I doing much more for the outside of me
That I've left Jesus out of my day?

It's good to care for one's body.
For it is God's Temple, we know.
But we must not forget to care for our hearts,
By renewal each day of the soul.

The heart and the soul make one lovely.
No matter what's seen by the rest.
God's love and His kindness shine forth through one's eyes,
And His wisdom will not fail the test.

God's Spirit resides deep within us.
He makes the face glow like the sun.
He takes blemishes, scars and wrinkles away,
And His facial will suit everyone.

Paul writes in his letter in Romans,
About the renewal of minds,
And God's transforming power,
For each one in all mankind.

So, next time you gaze in the mirror.
Try hard to look past hair and skin.
Jesus is standing beside you.
Let God's beauty shine forth from within.
Arlene Himes
Posted by: Freda Fullerton
September 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment